General nerdy stuff, Video Games, Loot, Whining, Harangues

Monday, May 22, 2006

Hip Loot

On Sunday we made a trip to Domy Books, sort of a Kidrobot style place. But I’m not sure that KidRobot is so damn pretentious. I’m sorry, the store itself isn’t really pretentious (it’s tastefully minimalist) just the insufferable hipsters that reside there. I won’t duplicate The Cat’s description of the hipsters here, but the clerk did try to drop a few names during our brief exchange. They were hosting a book signing of someone I guess I should care about. I just responded with my best selection of oh’s, uh-huh’s and cool’s.

I did manage to get a David Horvath 2 Faced Dunny (set 2), Gel 2.0 specifically. I love Horvath’s art and have one of his Ugly Dolls (Cinko). I might snag a few more of these Dunnys.

I also picked up a Nano Spore. It was the “Girl” one, which is exactly the one that I didn’t want. In the store it was one of their display model and I can remember thinking “Man, I hope I don’t get that one.” That always happens with me and vinyl. Or maybe they just weight the assortment towards the crappy ones. According to the clerk the Nano Spores are selling out around the world. I guess that makes me feel better; at least I got a lame-tastic one, many unfortunates won’t even have that pleasure.

I also purchased the Colorcalm: by Design DVD. A while back there was a DVD of colors that would cycle. You were supposed to put it on your flats screen for mood or light. This is some sort of art installation shtick set to music. I’ll let you know more when we watch it.

Overall I dropped quite a bit at the store, which makes me sad. The owner is a jerk (he owns a coffee shop that chases people off when they aren’t ordering constantly) and the clientele is grating. But I can’t think of anywhere else in town to find this stuff. Not that I need any of it, though when the mood strikes Domy will be there.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home