General nerdy stuff, Video Games, Loot, Whining, Harangues

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Games of the Non-Video Kind

Last weekend The Cat and I had Barnelia and Cecil over for dinner and a Bad Movie. This time around it was The Wizard staring Super Mario 3, the Power Glove and Fred Savage. While it was amusing, it wasn’t the highlight of the evening for me.

No, I was thrilled that we all played Carcassonne which I bought earlier that day. I used to play lots of RPGs and board games with my friends in the Sunshine State. Unfortunately I don’t know anyone these days that wants to throw some d20s or calculate their berserker’s THAC0.

Carcassone is a neat little strategy game with a nice dose of luck thrown in. And while it was fairly complex you could carry on a conversation while playing. Personally I love tile laying games; something about building your own board every time that helps keep things fresh. It offers plenty of expansion sets (which I also love) to keep adding to the game. And the pieces are great; their called Meeples (miniature people), made out of wood and fun to stack when you are scheming. (If they are you meeples are they your meeps?)

I think everyone had a pretty good reaction to it. But Cecil was slightly dismayed at the game’s lack of violence. Perhaps one of the expansions will let him bully other player’s meeples around. If not I can drag out RoboRally, that’s usually pretty violent. The Cat, AKA “Board Game Hater”, even suffered through two games. And Barnelia demonstrated her inner vassal by schooling us in both games. I hope we can play again.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

all i was saying is that it would have been nice to add some Trogdor action to the mix.

BURNINATION.

8:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home