General nerdy stuff, Video Games, Loot, Whining, Harangues

Monday, June 26, 2006

One down

one to go. I just finished one of the classes that has occupied most of my time over the past three weeks. It was pretty grueling but worth it.


It covered comics and graphic novels in libraries. When I get some more time, I'll post some of the great books we read for class and one's that I read on the side.


Until then, go read Bone. It's simply amazing. It has everything: great art, engaging story and great humor. I read the first volume and the second one should be here tomorrow. There are 9 volumes total, so it's a pretty beefy story. This is probably going to me my “Harry Potter” of graphic novels.


That and Rocketo volume 1. Cecil let me the first issue a while back. During the class I read it to decompress. Wow! Not since Kingdom Come was I blown away by the craftsmanship of a graphic novel. It is going to take every ounce of self-control to not by the monthly Rocketo. Cecil talked me out of buying monthies, so I will just have to “wait for the trade.” Besides the trades generally are a lot nicer looking.


I did read some crap too. Case in point: Sgt. Frog. I've seen this one at BN so I checked it out from the library. It's a bit creepy. I believe that the book is targeted at kids, but there are some pretty racy parts. I'll chalk it up to culture differences. I'm not sure yet if I like manga or not. I'll read a few more before I pass judgment. Heck, I might even read the nest Sgt. Frog book. I have to find out why the hell the mother in the series insists on wearing a latex bikini (honest).


Keep in mind that none of these three books for the course proper. I just picked them up when was between assignments or journal articles.


By the way, thanks for your help Cecil. You were a great resource during this class. It would have been a pain in the ass without you.


And I would be a complete soulless jerk not to mention The Cat's assistance in all my classes. She reads everything I turn in or post. It is a lot of stuff, but I really do appreciate her helping me not sound like a idiot. In contrast, she doesn't edit this blog. Which would probably explain iffy writing. Thanks again The Cat.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, no problem. my comic collection won't cure cancer but It Can Educate, apparently. awesome.

8:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home