General nerdy stuff, Video Games, Loot, Whining, Harangues

Thursday, June 01, 2006

This will roxxors

Mark your calendars for 6/6/06. Why you ask? No, it’s not the day that every goth kid in America will put on extra eyeliner, giggle and say “Dude, it’s the Devil’s day.” (This reminds me, I’ve forgotten to bring perfectly normal brownies to work on April 20th for yet another year.) While that may happen, it’s also is the day that the Nerdcore Hip-Hop compilation CD’s will be released via Bittorrent.

It’s really grown from 10 or so songs to quite a list. While I haven’t heard half of them, there are a few in there that are less than spectacular. Some are needlessly foul or just plain unlistenable. I can only personally vouch for MC Frontalot, MC Hawking and YT Cracker.

I’ve been trying to train a Nerdcore Pandora station but it’s not going well. In case you haven’t used it yet I highly recommend Pandora (my stations are on the sidebar). It’s a free (for now) radio station where you can influence the playlist. You first pick an artist or song that you like. Pandora uses info from Music Genome Project to find songs that are similar to what you selected. Most of the time it does a good job but the more obscure your tastes, the sketchier the results. You can let Pandora know what you think of the song. The more info you give it, the better a picture it has of what you want. You can even create different stations for different types of music.

For example, I was able to establish a pretty good Bossa Nova station by starting with Jobim. Occasionally some easy listening or dippy light jazz creeps, but I just chase it off. Same thing with my White Guy station (it needs better name). I started with Nerf Herder, but I added Weezer to expand the range beyond Everclear or Blink 182. Aside from one Def Leppard song it has been pretty good.

But Nerdcore is a bit harder; I can’t even bring myself to name it “Nerdcore Radio,” for now it will remain “Yo Raps.” I keep getting West Coast rap and other junk. Some of it is old school-ish but other have to much nasty lyrics featuring hoes and such. I hope the compilation CD will help add other artist to the station to define it better.
--
OMG! The Dome Walker Robot from Stikfas. My head justa sploded.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home