General nerdy stuff, Video Games, Loot, Whining, Harangues

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

ARGH! My Eyes!

Tonight has not been a good night to be my eyes.

First I watched 2 episodes of Drawn Together (bunch of cartoon tropes {look it up} “live” in a house, reality show style). It’s an amusing premise but the show is wantonly stupid and unnecessarily nasty. I have no problem with either stupid or nasty but only when done with intelligence and discretion. The only moderately funny character is Ling Ling, a Pikachu-like Asian battling monster. He doesn’t speak English (maybe Japanese, but I doubt it is actually anything real) and the characters constantly misinterpret him. For some reason his subtitles are in Engrish, which is slightly amusing. The really funny part about him is he acts like you want Pikachu to act: constantly pissed and raring for a fight. It’s too bad the rest of the show is crap; I’m sure that Ling Ling is a riot.

This isn’t the first “adult” or “mature” (read “crappy” or “juvenile”) cartoon I’ve ‘flixed as of late. A few weeks ago I watched 2 episodes of Tripping the Rift. (I figure that if they can’t prove their worth in 2 episodes then they are a complete waste of time. . . beyond those two episodes that is) Boy, was I sorry. Everything was wretched about this cartoon. It’s really sad when the title sequence contains most of the jokes you’ll see in the episode. This wouldn’t be such a huge problem but it’s the same damn sequence for every show (except for the computer saying something stupid).

I should have listen to The Cat for both shows. She said they would suck and she was right.

The second threat to my vision tonight was sausage and peppers. The Cat purchased me some from Whole Foods and it was a bit shy on the pepper side. Just so happens that a coworker gave me some homegrown peppers just the other day, two red bell peppers and two long green ones. I decided to add in the two greens. For some reason I thought they would be mild like bells, after the first bite I knew I was mistaken. So I ate a bit more bread and everything was spicy but ok. After dinner and the above mentioned crapfest, I went to lie down for a second. I was snuggling in when I rubbed my eyes. HO SHIT! It burned! YOUCH! My left eye was on fire from a bit of capsaicin on my finger tip. Just the other day I read how you shouldn’t drink water on capsaicin because it is oil soluble; water just spreads it around. Bread or liquor is recommended to temper the heat. Both of those seemed really bad to rub on one’s eye so I just used cool water and ice. It went away, but not after some intense discomfort.

I must have had my idiot hat on not to realize they were hot peppers. Usually I wear rubber gloves when dealing in hot peppers to avoid searing my eyes out. I know next time I will go for the gloves when ever I am around peppers that clearly aren’t bells.

Thankfully the capsaicin washed out or dispersed; no lasting damage. But, as they say, you can’t unwatch something bad. I’ll have to live with the Drawn Together damage for a while.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm not surprised about Tripping the Rift. Mostly because it was co-created by Chuck Austen, responible for a good 95% of the worst comics published this decade.

Here are two spot-on reviews of his X-Men work:

- Nightcrawler becomes involved in a sinister plot to take over the Catholic Church

- Nightcrawler's origin story is explained, and it makes no damn sense

11:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home